Are Alcohol-Based Sanitisers A Danger To Children?


With endemic Covid-19 upon us, it’s become commonplace to have a trusty bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitiser or disinfectant within reach. Although it has long been seen as a household essential to ward off dangerous germs, the excessive use of alcohol due to the pandemic has led to an uptick in toxic exposure, especially amongst young children. These seemingly harmless products are often used in copious amounts around the home, and are easily accessible to curious toddlers who may have accidentally ingested it. So what exactly are the dangers, and is there a safer alternative? Read on to find out.


Do alcohol-based disinfectants really work?


Alcohol has been used as an active ingredient in common disinfectant products for many years. The higher the alcohol content, the more effective it is. In fact, the CDC recommends using a product with at least 60 percent of alcohol content in order to eliminate germs completely.


This is done through a simple chemical process known as denaturation, which occurs when the alcohol molecules break down the proteins present in the structure of germs, causing the cells to lose their membrane protection and render it unable to function. Depending on the type of alcohol used, it can effectively kill a wide variety of germs.


Most alcohol-based disinfectants contain either ethanol or isopropanol, which are both equally effective at fighting off disease-causing pathogens such as E. coli (which causes stomach flu) and Staphylococcus aureus (which causes skin infections). While it’s great for preventing the spread of germs, do take note that alcohol is not capable of killing fungus and spores such as C.difficile – a type of bacteria that can lead to severe diarrhoea.


Is it safe to use alcohol-based disinfectants around children?


While it’s generally safe to use most alcohol-based disinfectant products, they do pose serious health risks due to the toxic ingredients and strong alcohol concentration, especially towards young children and pets. As it’s often used to disinfect common high-touch areas in your home, it’s very likely for your child to come into contact with treated surfaces. When ingested or inhaled in large amounts, this can lead to accidental poisoning and related skin or eye injuries (i.e when a child rubs their eyes). It can also cause symptoms ranging from nausea and headaches, to more adverse complications like seizures, comas and even death. If your child experiences any symptoms from repeated usage of these products, seek medical attention immediately.


To avoid taking an unnecessary trip to the emergency room, it’s always important to keep all alcohol-based disinfectants out of children’s reach and supervise their use when needed with these safety tips. Don’t forget to check the label for any safety warnings, and follow the instructions to ensure that you don’t risk harm to yourself and others around you.


What’s a safer and more effective alternative to alcohol-based disinfectants?


If you are concerned about the safety of alcohol-based disinfectants, alcohol-free options like BioCair work just as well – if not better. Utilising the latest cutting-edge technology, BioCair’s range of disinfectant solutions is specially formulated with BC-65 solution to kill 99.999% of airborne and surface bacteria, germs, fungus and spores without the use of alcohol or any harmful chemicals.


BioCair's Efficacy Against Bacteria & Germs


It’s tested and proven to be effective against highly resistant pathogens, and is also safe for everyday use. Yes, even around children! This means you can safely disinfect your home with peace of mind without ever having to worry about your little ones accidentally ingesting or inhaling dangerous toxins. No alcohol needed!



Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

Related Posts