Your Household Disinfectant May Be Toxic—Here’s What To Know

BioCair

Are we still disinfecting every possible nook and cranny in our homes? Probably not as much as before, but it’s safe to say that this precautionary measure has become an everyday routine for many of us. From sanitising our hands to regularly disinfecting high-touch surfaces, disinfectant products have become a household essential to keep our spaces clean and germ-free.

 

However, what consumers don’t know is that they often contain unhealthy amounts of harsh chemicals; alcohol-based disinfectants with active ingredients such as ethanol or isopropanol are some of the common types you can find on the shelves. It can be toxic when ingested or inhaled in high concentrations, which can be dangerous if it’s easily accessible to young children.

 

So, how do you know if your alcohol-based disinfectant is safe for you? Let’s look at some of the lesser-known facts about this common germ-killer.

 

 

Alcohol-based disinfectants may cause toxicity

 

Killing germs is essential to keep your family safe, but what if your disinfectant is doing more harm than good or not effective? According to the CDC, it’s recommended to use a product containing at least 60 percent ethanol or 70 percent isopropanol for it to effectively eliminate bacteria and viruses.

 

And yes, it works – it does the job and gets rid of most germs. However, chemicals in such high quantities are considered toxic and can cause hazardous effects on humans. This is why it’s essential to always read instructions on the label to avoid disinfectants containing harmful toxins. Stay away from products with warning symbols such as ‘caution’, ‘warning’ or ‘danger’, and look out for those free of alcohol and other toxic ingredients so it’s safe for use.

 

 

Alcohol-based disinfectants can potentially threaten children

 

They may leave strong chemical residue behind. Getting a bit of alcohol on your hands will probably cause no more than mild skin irritation, but what happens when a child unknowingly inhales or ingests the substance?

 

As alcohol is commonly used to disinfect high-touch areas in our homes, children are at high risk as they are likely to come into direct contact with chemically-treated surfaces – be it during meals or playtime. This can include common items such as toys, playmats, high chairs, etc. They may then put their hands into their mouths or rub their eyes after touching a contaminated surface or object, resulting in serious effects if not treated promptly.

 

Exposure to alcohol can cause various symptoms ranging from nausea and headaches, but in severe cases, it may even lead to permanent blindness and damage to one’s nervous system. Be sure to seek medical attention immediately if your child has been exposed to alcohol toxicity, or shows signs of accidental poisoning.

 

 

Alcohol-based disinfectants are not effective on all types of bacteria

 

As mentioned previously, alcohol-based disinfectants with less than 60 percent ethanol may not be as effective in eliminating germs, and may only limit their growth rather than killing them completely. Alcohol also has little to no known effect on fungus and spores – one study shows that it’s ineffective against C.difficile, a type of bacterial spore that causes an infection in the large intestine.

 

Forget alcohol – try BioCair for a safe and non-toxic solution.

 

A safer and more effective alternative is BioCair, formulated to kill 99.999% of airborne and surface bacteria, germs, fungus and spores without alcohol or other toxic chemicals. It’s tested and proven to eliminate even the most stubborn and highly resistant germs, including strong enveloped viruses such as Covid-19 and Hand Foot Mouth Disease. You don’t have to worry about your child accidentally touching, inhaling or ingesting it, as our products are irritant-free and do not cause harmful effects.

 

All BioCair disinfectant products are child-friendly and safe for everyday use, protecting you and your loved ones against invisible health threats we face daily. Disinfecting your home has never been made any easier with BioCair.

share

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

Related Posts

Previous
Next